Center for Korean Research AKS Postdoctoral Research Scholar in Korean Studies, 2020-21
The Center for Korean Research in the Weatherhead East Asian Institute at Columbia University invites applications for the role of Academy of Korean Studies (AKS) Postdoctoral Research Scholar in Korean Studies for academic year 2020-2021. The Center is seeking a postdoctoral research scholar who conducts Korea-related research in any historical period, premodern or modern, in the humanities or social sciences. We are particularly interested in candidates whose work is interdisciplinary and connects Korea to broader East Asian and global issues or concerns. The research scholar will teach one course each semester in her/his area of expertise as well as pursue her/his own research. The research scholar will be provided the opportunity to organize events related to her/his research interests and will participate actively in programs and events sponsored by the Center for Korean Research, the Weatherhead East Asian Institute, the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures, and other relevant units at Columbia.
The appointment is for one academic year, beginning September 1, 2020, and ending May 31, 2021. The role comes with shared office space and access to libraries and resources at Columbia University.
** This is a grant-funded appointment contingent upon the availability of funds.**
- Applicants must have completed all Ph.D. degree requirements (completed and filed the dissertation) between May 1, 2017 and August 31, 2020.
Candidates must attach all files to one application email, or upload all documents to a cloud-based platform and include a link to those documents in the application email. Interfolio applications are also accepted.
- Completed application cover sheet
- 1-2 page cover letter that briefly states your interest in the program, and a summary of your research project
- Updated Curriculum Vitae, including a list of classes taught (if any)
- Course evaluations for classes taught (if any)
- Two course syllabi for seminars (for courses to be offered to M.A. students and advanced undergraduates)
- 3 letters of reference (signed, sealed, and mailed by referees directly to the address below, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org) that include an evaluation of the applicant’s research and prior teaching experience.
Center for Korean Research
ATTN: Jooyeon Kim
Weatherhead East Asian Institute
Columbia University MC3333
420 West 118th Street, Room 907
New York, NY 10027
All application materials (including letters of reference) must be received on or before February 1, 2020. Candidates may be invited for an interview to be held by video, phone or in person. All evaluations made in connection with applications received are confidential.
For more information about the role of Center for Korean Research AKS Postdoctoral Research Scholar in Korean Studies, please contact Jooyeon Kim, Assistant Director at email@example.com.
This position is supported by the Core University Program for Korean Studies through the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Korea and Korean Studies Promotion Service of the Academy of Korean Studies (AKS-2016-OLU-2250006).